North Street, Newry, County Down

North Street, Newry, County Down
North Street, Newry, County Down

Monday 12 May 2014

James Stanislaus Blake [1816-1873] [5]

In 1869 James wrote a poem for his wife Cornelia.

To my Wife
On the 24th Anniversary of our Marriage
7th May 1869

When first I met thee, dearest wife
Before our time of wedded life
No Maiden be she low or high
So charmed my soul or pleased mine eye.
Thy voice was musical to mine ear
-My pulse beat fast when thou wert near
-And when my hand was closed on thine
I felt 'twere bliss to call thee mine.
So thought I then - What think I now
When Time has marked with care my brow
And years have passed, full twenty-four
Of married life? - I love thee more
I have not seen, nor do I see
Maiden or wife to equal thee
For good thou art and wise and fair
-No other can with thee compare
Of all life's treasures thou art best
For him who hath thee God hath blest.[1]


[1] "Blessed is he that dwelleth with a wise woman." Ecc.

No comments:

Post a Comment