Francis Edward Biddulph was the only son of Nicholas Biddulph of Congor House, Borrisokane, County Tipperary and his first wife Catherine Lucas daughter of Rev. Edward Lucas, of Rakenry, County Cavan.
No. 330 - Francis Edward Biddulph son of Nicholas and Catherine Biddulph was born 2nd June 1834 and baptized the 28th July 1834. Registered 28th July 1834 by me Thomas Harper - Rector.
I certify that the above is a correct copy taken from the Baptismal Register of the church of St. Peter Maryborough. Robert R. Tilson. Incumbent. 27th April 1917.
His mother Catherine died on the 6th June 1834.
His father Nicholas married Isabella Digges La Touche in Dublin in 1839.
Francis married Annabella Kennedy in 1861.
Biddulph and Kennedy - On the 17th instant, in St. Jude's Church, Southsea, by the Rev. H.T. Brownrigg, Francis Edward Biddulph, Esq., of Congor House, County Tipperary, to Annabella, third daughter of the late John Kennedy, Esq., of Ballyrainny House, County Down.
They had fourteen children, five of whom survived to adulthood.
1. Catherine Mary Biddulph [1861-1869] Died in Bangalore, India, aged eight.
2. Nicholas Trafalgar Biddulph [1863-1950] Born on board the TRAFALGAR on the way to India. Died in Southsea, Hants, England.
3. Francis Biddulph [9 Dec – 13 Dec 1865] Burma.
4. Hugh Wray Biddulph [1866-1843] Born in Tonghoo, Burma. Died in New Barnet, Kent, England.
5. Arthur Stuart Biddulph [1868-1878]. Born in Bangalore, Madras, India. Died in Borrisokane, County Tipperary, Ireland, aged ten.
6. Charles Thomas Biddulph [1869-1900] Born in Bangalore, India. Died in Queenstown, South Africa.
7. William Henry Biddulph [1870-1875] Born in Dublin. Died in Pembroke Dock, Wales, on the 6th of March 1875, aged five.
8. Ethel Emily Biddulph [1872-1875] Born in Aghada, County Cork. Died in Pembroke Dock, Wales, aged three.
9. Ormus Llewellyn Biddulph [12 Feb – 2 Sept 1874]. Pembroke Dock, Wales.
10. Isabella Alice Biddulph [12 Feb – 6 March 1875] Pembroke Dock, Wales.
11. Amy Biddulph [1875-1970] Born in Aldershot, Hants, England. Died in Dalkey, County Dublin.
12. Alice Biddulph [29 Aug – 31 Aug 1877] Rosemount, New Kilmainham, Dublin.
13. May Teresa Biddulph [1879-1925] Born Birr, County Offaly. Died in Alassio, Italy.
14. Beatrice Anne Biddulph [1889-1867] Born Birr, County Offaly. Died in Ballybrack, County Dublin.
Francis had chosen a military career He served in both the 9th and 19th Regiments. The family moved from England to Burma and India, and back to England.
After Francis’s retirement from the Army he and Annabella went to live in St. Kilda’s, Birr, King’s County. Francis was a Magistrate for King's County and a prominent member of the community. They later moved to Marie Lodge, Dalkey, County Dublin.
Their marriage had lasted fifty years and they celebrated their golden wedding in Bulloch Castle, Dalkey, County Dublin, in 1911.
In 1917 the family, including two of their daughters, Amy and May, and four of their grandchildren, returned to Southsea where they had first met.
Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Edward Biddulph, died in 1919 in Southsea in his eighty-fifth year.
Biddulph - May 16, 1919, at 21 Brading av., Southsea, Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Edward Biddulph, late of the 9th and 19th Regiments, and of Marie Lodge, Dalkey, son of the late Nicholas Biddulph, Esq., of Congor, Co. Tipperary.
His funeral took place with full military honours.
Annabella died in 1925.
BIDDULPH - August 16, 1925 at 31 Stanley Street, Southsea, the residence of her daughter Mrs Fitz-Gerald, Annabella widow of the late Lieutenant-Colonel F.E.Biddulph, 9th and 15th Regiments, of Fortal, King's County, and Marie Lodge, Dalkey, Ireland. (Irish Times, Wednesday, August 19, 1925)
Francis and Annabella are buried in Highland Road Cemetery, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.