North Street, Newry, County Down

North Street, Newry, County Down
North Street, Newry, County Down

Thursday 17 April 2014

James Stanislaus Blake [c.1817-1873]

James Blake lived in Thomastown, County Kilkenny. A barrister by profession, he also enjoyed writing poetry.


Description of my Study

This room, in which I keep my station,
Is in worst state of litigation:
A mother striving to eject
Her son, myself, without respect;
And lest she might succeed, I'll try
To keep a list of property.
First, is a portrait of my mother,
With profiles of myself and brother;
Two foils, a desk, a bugle, and
A table with a music stand;
Six chairs, the better to keep clean,
All covered with the best moreen;
A sword, a compass, and a sling,
With a small gun for battering;
A covered sofa, but on it,
I have strict orders not to sit.
A pistol, dagger, lamp, and screw,
With other things of much vertu;
And last of all, with studious air,
Myself upon an elbow chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment