North Street, Newry, County Down

North Street, Newry, County Down
North Street, Newry, County Down

Monday 5 November 2018

Grace Elizabeth Biddulph [1854-1896]


Grace Elizabeth Biddulph was the fourth daughter of Nicholas Biddulph, of Congor, Borrisokane, County Tipperary, and his second wife Isabella Digges La Touche.
Late Concert at Nenagh: ...Through some _inadvertence we omitted the names of Miss Anne and Miss Grace Biddulph, who sang at the Concert and are members of the Choral society.[1]
Grace never married. She  died at 5 Addison Terrace, Glasnevin, Dublin, of influenza and weakness, on the 12th of April 1896 aged 50. Previously she had lived in 28 Chelmsford Road, and 24 Sandford Road, both in Ranelagh, Dublin.
Her very detailed will can be found in the National Archives of Ireland. In it she named Isabell Head, her sister, and Robert Waller Biddulph, Fleet Surgeon, R. N., her brother, as her executors.  The following extract gives an interesting glimpse into her life and family connections.
 ‘I give and bequeath to my sister Ellen Louisa Biddulph 7 Shares in the Great Southern Railway. I give and bequeath to my brother William Nicholas Biddulph 3 Shares in the Great Southern Railway. I give to my Godson Robert Richard Biddulph one hundred pounds in the Midland Great Western Railway. I give and bequeath to my sisters Mary and Anne Biddulph one hundred and fifty pounds each. I give to my sister Isabell Head [married to William Henry Head] one hundred pounds. I give to my brothers Robert and Richard Biddulph one hundred pounds each. I give to my God daughter Muriel Grace Biddulph [daughter of her brother Richard Biddulph and Gertrude Allen] one hundred pounds. I give to my old friend Mrs St. Leger 80 pounds in the North British Railway. I give and bequeath to my 3 nieces Amy, May and Beatrice Biddulph 60 pounds each [daughters of her half-brother Francis E. Biddulph]. I give to my friends Charlotte and Alice Exshaw 50 pounds each in the Banks stock. [Charlotte Exshaw was an Evangelist, and may have been a member of the Plymouth Brethren]. I give and bequeath to my nephew Hugh Wray Biddulph one hundred pounds [son of her half-brother Francis E. Biddulph]. I give to my niece Carobel [Caroline Isabel] and nephew Robert Biddulph 30 pounds each [children of Robert Biddulph and Caroline Studdert]. I give to Dr. H.T. Bewley 50 pounds for curing me of a tedious disease. [A physician in Dublin and a member of the Society of Friends]. I give to Nannie and  Norah Wallace 20 pounds each. I give to my brother Robert Biddulph my father’s chain. I give to my sister Isabella Head my diamond ring at her death to go to my niece Bessie Bennett [Elizabeth Head wife of George Bennett, a Church of England Minister] and her daughters [Elizabeth and Winifred]. I also give to the said Bessie Bennett two plated salt cellars. I give to my cousin Alice Franks my Indian bone necklet with bracelets to match and my musical box. I give to my cousin Grace Diggues La Touche my cameo brooch. I give to my sister in law Caroline Biddulph [Caroline Studdert] my Indian shawl. I give to my niece Beatrice Biddulph my gold watch and chain. I give to my 3 nieces Annie [Amy?] May and Beatrice Biddulph my silver bracelets and Indian […] necklets. I give my fur cloak blue and white shawl lace scarf furniture cheval glass mirror to my sister Ellen Louisa Biddulph except sofa and armchair I give to my sisters Mary and Anne Biddulph. I give my clothes and Kate must send them to the Ladies Distress Fund [This may have been the Association for the Relief of Ladies in Distress formed in 1881 at the height of the Land Wars].
I appoint my sister Ellen Louisa Biddulph to be my residuary legatee of everything belonging to me in moneys not mentioned by me in this Will.
I wish to be buried in Congor Churchyard.
I do not wish this Will to be put through the Probate Banks if it can be settled otherwise money transferred by solicitor.’
Probate of the Will was granted at Dublin to Robert Waller Biddulph of Yeory Villa, Herbert road, Southsea, Hants, England, Fleet Surgeon R. N.   Her estate amounted to £3638.0.0.






[1] Nenagh Guardian,Wednesday,February19,1873.

No comments:

Post a Comment